Hello Golden Fam! Today I have a post with a few quick tips to help you go places this year and make your goals materialize.
Now, I have a blog post that helps you break down your goals in to easier, more manageable steps so you can a. keep better track of your progress and 2. really figure out not only where you want to go, but how you’re going to get there, in that post you can download a completely free.99 goal setting sheet to implement those tips. Click Here to open that post in another window/tab if you haven’t read it already.
I’m the kind of person that naturally leans more towards the ‘dreamer’ side than the ‘doer’ side of the scale, so I’m constantly pushing myself to do more while I dream bigger. On my journey to becoming a full-time doer of things, I’m discovering several things that seem to ignite the spark of productivity in me and help me stay in the zone while I work on the future that I’m building for myself. Here’s the gist:
- Know what you want. This might seem a little ‘duh’ moment for you but hey, maybe not! Have you truly thought through your goals and where you want to be by the end of the year and how you’re going to get there? Sometimes we get into the rut of just moseying around aimlessly towards a halfway thought out goal and get surprised when we don’t get there. If you don’t know what you want, you won’t know how to ask for it, meaning your chances of getting there will reduce significantly.
Sit down with a nice cup of coffee or tea (or wine, you do you, boo) and map out your goals. Put it into words as clearly as you can so you’ll know exactly where you’re going.
- Focus on one or two goals. You’ll have a better chance at succeeding if you make a plan to pursue a smaller amount of goals instead of a giant list of them that’ll most likely leave you overwhelmed and not knowing where to start or how to go about reaching them.
- Shift your mindset. I know that for many of us, one big goal is to become healthier, and that’s a fantastic goal! Now, what I see too many people doing is making it a goal to lose __ lbs or eat less junk food. That’s cool and all but wouldn’t it be better if you formulated it differently? “I want to eat foods that will nourish my body, keep me healthy and leave me feeling full and satisfied as well as help me reach and maintain a healthy weight”
Isn’t that already better? The difference is you’re letting go of the thought that you need to lose x amount of weight and focusing more on being a healthy version of you. You’re creating a goal description that you can actually keep and focusing on eating the right foods instead of focusing on eating less of the wrong foods. Trust me, words matter!
- On that note, since words matter, create an affirmation for yourself! Let’s turn the above goal into an appropriate affirmation, shall we?
” I am eating foods that nourish me, keep me healthy and leave me feeling full and satisfied and I am maintaining a healthy weight” or if that one’s too long let’s do another: “I am healthy” Boom, done. Or maybe this one is relevant, too: “I have a healthy relationship with food”.
Once you choose your one or two goals to really focus on, make an affirmation out of it by changing the wording and turning it into a sentence in which you’ve already achieved the thing you’re setting your sights on.
– Instead of “I want to learn how to cook” turn it into “I am a good cook”
– Instead of “I want to get fit” turn it into “I am fit”
– Instead of “I want to become more disciplined” make it “I am disciplined”
Your turn. Leave me a comment with your affirmation and let’s make it happen this year!
- Be realistic. You will come across bumps in the road, you will have setbacks, you will get off track. Know that. Even visualize it. Visualize yourself overcoming those. Whatever you do, don’t think that it’ll be a breeze and you’ll be coasting to the finish line and get there unscathed. It takes work, it takes effort and perseverance. Push through the tough times and victory will taste even sweeter when you reach your goal.
- Hold yourself accountable. If you notice yourself slipping and not doing the work, take a moment to analyze what’s going on and reassess your situation. Be honest with yourself, why is it you’re drifting away from your goal? Is it too hard? Are you not seeing fast progress? Are you unmotivated?
Identify what it is that’s making you fall back and push yourself to keep going in spite of the obstacles.I recently found myself in one of those funks where even the smallest of tasks seemed like an uphill battle, I struggled to be productive and found myself doing busy work instead of meaningful work that pushes me forward. So I took a little time-out, revisited my goals and updated them to better reflect what I’m going for, broke down those updated goals into bite-size pieces that don’t seem so daunting (here’s where my goal-setting worksheet comes in super handy) and now I finally feel like I’m getting back on track.My biggest and most important piece of advice is this…
- DO NOT – I REPEAT – DO NOT GIVE UP. Sometimes our goals will seem daunting no matter how you slice ’em, sometimes life will get in the way, there will be times when you’ll think that giving up is easier or that you’re not able to climb the crazy mountain that is your goal, but if there is one thing that I want you to take away from this post and one thing I want you to repeat to yourself over and over again, it’s this: Everything you need to succeed is within you or being provided to you. Even if you don’t quite believe it now, say it again.
As a late-ish new year’s present and a pretty reminder to make moves and go places this year, I’ve created this lovely floral printable for you to put up on your wall:
Click Here to get your Free print
Comment below and let me know what your main goal is for this year and make it an affirmation!