The long awaited sequel is here! If you’re looking for some projects to do this summer, look no further here you’ll find a collection of writing prompts, drawing and painting ideas and plenty of ways you can flex those creative muscles and beat that creative block.
Read part uno right here for over 40 more awesome ideas!
- A different kind of Photo Op! Look at a photograph (it can be yours or somebody else’s) and make up a story about what happened right before or after it was taken.
- Go on Twitter and look at popular hashtags! Okay, this one might not work every day but some trending hashtags are pretty good at getting your creativity flowing because they’re basically writing prompts with the twist of – you know – you have to make it fit into 140 characters. (#BadAdviceIn4Words, #ToughenUpACartoon, etc.)
- Think of a product that you would like to have but doesn’t exist yet and then write a description of it, what it looks like and how it works. Bonus points if you want to doodle or draw it!
- Play a video game (but set a timer!)
- Draw or paint your own calendar.
- Pick out an object in your house or workspace that you love, then write about how you got it. It could be the real story or you could make up a fantastic fictional story about it like you had to reach the fiery gates of Mordor to retrieve your favorite pen, and had to fight some Oompa Loompas with candy cane sticks (it was either that or cotton candy) to earn the honor of wielding your pen.
- Make a color reference chart of your paints [here’s mine], you might find a few colors that inspire your next work of art.
- Draw your favorite art supplies and tools of your trade.
- Write about your ideal day at work.
- Write about a cool dream job that doesn’t exist – like professional pizza eater or executive puppy cuddler!
- They’re making a movie or sitcom based on your life! Write a short pilot for it.
- Put yourself in the shoes of a child. Not literally, but think like a child and let your imagination be untainted by parameters and rules!
- Or, ask a child to tell you a story. Write it down with fantastic detail or draw out a scene of their story.
- WriteOrDie – Use this website to challenge you (+ your friends if you want) to write something in a time crunch. Don’t think too much about what you’re writing or if it makes sense, just use that time to dump all of your thoughts onto the paper.
- Mirror Image. Print out an image, preferably symmetrical, like a butterfly or a face), cut or fold it in half and try to draw the other half by mirroring the image.
- Alternatively, you could make the other half into a fantastic creature while maintaining some features of the image you chose, that should be cool!
- Reimagine the logo of your favorite restaurant or store.
- Make a logo for an imaginary company or brand (maybe you can make a logo for your dream job of #10 – the Executive Puppy Cuddler – or, you know, whatever you chose)
- Draw your favorite food. Nom Nom.
- Draw or paint the ingredients of your favorite recipe. More nom nom.
- Write with your non-dominant hand! Are you a righty or a lefty?
- Put a blank piece of paper where the surroundings cast a shadow on it, then draw the silhouette.
- Play the dictionary game! Pick a word, any word (preferably one that you don’t know the meaning to) and try to come up with a crazy/funny definition for it.
- Play with your food! Make art with your food – say you have a bowl of grapes, arrange them to resemble a word or a ladybug or a smiley face…you get the gist!
- Paint on a different surface than you normally do; try painting on glass or draw on chalkboard for example!
- Make a card for someone you care about.
- Try some nail art!
- Use pages of a book (you’ll probably want to use a book you don’t mind taking pages from), trace some block letters and cut them out, then form a word or phrase and make wall art with it! Alternatively, you can also take a page of a book and CAREFULLY burn the edges, then write your favorite quote on it and frame it!
- Take a shower! I always come up with new ideas there, in fact, the idea for Part One of this blog post came to me in the shower!
- Go on StumbleUpon and browse through your favorite categories. I always stumble upon fascinating articles that I probably wouldn’t read otherwise. I’ve gotten some great creative ideas from unexpected articles there!
- Imagine what your pet is thinking and narrate their actions and thoughts, it can get pretty comical and creative!
- Pick out a few things laying around in your house that could use some repurposing and make something entirely new out of it!
- Meditate. Once you’re in a more peaceful state of mind, your thoughts might flow more freely and you might come up with your next masterpiece!
- Read old journal entries and write another entry, but wait! Try to write your journal entry as though you’re back to being the age you were on your old entries.
- Learn a new skill. Jewelry making, painting, graphic design, wood carving, anything!
- Redecorate your space! A fresh new look might just be the thing to set your creativity in motion.
- Put your playlist on shuffle and draw something inspired by the first song that comes on.
- Come up with a rap for random activities like household chores and errands, shopping, taking a shower, you name it! “TGL don’t miss a beat, don’t forget to brush your teeth!/Scrub-a-dub & brush-a-brush/so more Candy you can Crush” or “Makin’ green juice like a pro/gettin’ healthy is no joke/put some kale up in this bi***/this stuff just might make you rich/in protein I mean, no meat required/put your glass up and cheers ’cause your health you just acquired” **drops mic**
(Important: Leave your raps in the comments and keep it going!)
- Go shopping! There’s something about retail therapy that gets you back in the creative groove. [Big thanks to Alli for this idea!]
- Browse around second-hand stores. There are some hidden treasures that can get your creative juices flowing, especially the book/magazine aisles. [Big thanks to Sieb for this one!] Antique stores are also inspiring when you try to imagine of the history behind an item!
That’s a wrap! For now… DUN DUN DUUN!
Do you have any other ideas that get your creative juices flowing? Tell me down below!
If you haven’t read Part one, now’s your chance! Hit this!
If you found some cool ideas that you want to try out for yourself or think your friend/cousin/sister/cat would like to give these ideas a whirl, share this post by clicking the social buttons below!